Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Culinary Medication

It all started the morning of the USC football game.  I started feeling quite stuffed up, dizzy, and queasy.  I went to the game, because seeing the Coliseum was something I had to get crossed off my list of things to do, but by the time I got home, I promptly ingested lots of decongestants and cold meds, and got into bed.  I stayed in bed all Sunday, and on into Monday.  However, by Monday afternoon, I was actually feeling quite hungry, having only had soup for two straight days.  However, I did not have the energy or the desire to expend too much energy cooking.  So I ended up throwing some stuff together.  When I say throw stuff together, I literally mean, throw stuff together.  I got this idea that if I combined a lot of stuff that sounds good into a rice cooker, I could set it and forget it. 

So, I took some whole grain rice and added diced onions, mushrooms, and Brussels sprouts.  I then threw in a can of cream of mushroom soup and a half stick of butter.  I then added roasted garlic and herb seasoning and “N'orleans Cajun” seasoning.  I then added a packet of “Indo Mie”, mie goreng flavor with the noodles all crushed up (for those of you not familiar with Indo Mie, they are pretty much Indonesian Raman Noodles).  I then added a spicy Indonesian sauce called Sambal, made by an Indonesian company called ABC.  To ensure spiciness  I also added sriracha hot sauce made by the Bangkok "Cock" brand (the one with the rooster on it). 

I then added water and stirred it all around to make it soup like and then let it cook in the rice cooker.  I know this all sounds weird, but it tasted fantastic.  It was like an Asian Jambalaya.  The dish as a whole had the consistency of Risotto.  The spiciness cleared my sinuses and felt great.  My sore throat was either numbed away, or cleared up.  Not to mention it warmed me up to the point that I had no chills.  Pretty much what I am telling you is that I may have just found the cure for sinus infections.  I am impressed that this worked, and bored enough to email all of you about it.  Maybe I just found the cure to a sinus infection.   Although next time I will try to include more variation in color. 





1 comment:

  1. Wow thanks Travis for the 'recipe' for your culinary medication! It sounds and looks quite interesting. I'm not a fan of extreme spicy food, but throwing everything into a rice cooker sounds like my type of cooking. Brown rice also has an interesting texture too and I like the nutty flavor of it too. You should also try cooking pork chops in the slow cooker. You just set it and forget it too. Glad you're feeling better!

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete