Thursday, October 17, 2013

Indo Food

So, I have been fortunate enough to spend much of my life traveling and living abroad in numerous countries and continents.  My family spend 12 years in Indonesia (which is where I graduated high school) and I have a very fond spot in my heart for that country.  Although, the same can be said about the other countries I grew up in.  However, while you can find semi decent Mediterranean food, or Chinese food in the USA, you never see too many Indonesia places.

Indonesia is the 4th most populous country in the world but they are not prevalent in the west like Latinos, Europeans or Asians.  This is partly due to the fact that many don't have the money to relocate, and, being a predominant Muslim country, visa restrictions tend to be quite strict.  However, I found an Indonesian place near my house (about two miles away) and I am so excited!!!!!  I was afraid it would be Americanized, or a Chinese place that serves one Indonesian dish, but it isn't!


When I went there, I was amazed that everyone was Indonesian, and it seems like a place that other California Indonesians go to just hang out.  The food was great.  I ordered two of my favorite dishes, and it was just like I was back in Jakarta, or on the streets of Bali eating out with my friends and family.  I have been back twice already to sample other menu items.  All in all, not every menu item is the best I have ever had, but I have had much worse Indonesian food in Indonesia.  And some of their dishes are just as good as almost anywhere you can find in Indonesia.  It is a great find, and a place I know I can go whenever I need a little slice of one of my worldly homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment