Thursday, October 17, 2013

Leadership


In my current internship, I think leadership is applied at a personal level.  My internship does not include any subordinates for my coworker and me.  In a very real sense, we are out on an island with very little direction from our “bosses” who sent us here.  We do work on, and find research for, certain projects that are of interest to our organization.  But aside from those few projects, we pursue topics and activities that we are interested in.  

            However, my coworker and I are very interested in civic engagement in local government and have been able to work with both Santa Monica and West Hollywood.  By attending their meetings and shadowing members of key departments (transportation, safety, etc) I have been able to see many different leadership roles and leadership styles.  Leadership in the public sector often involves different skills and tactics than in the private sector.  As I continue to shadow and pick the brains of different department heads, my goal is to take what I view as the positives traits, and try to incorporate them into my own leadership style.  I believe that doing this throughout my internship will allow me to be a more effective and efficient leader as I move on to full time employment.  It truly is a unique opportunity for two semesters to analyze, question, and formulate ideas from professionals who are in many cases responsible for very important and iconic cities and organizations here in California.

1 comment:

  1. That's cool that you get to focus on projects that interest you. I am actually taking a class on civic engagement and our class project is centered around disengaged youth in the Phoenix region. It's kind of surprising to see how low the levels of engagement are regarding civic engagement in local governments. You would think there would be a higher level of participation due to the fact that the decisions made at the local level tend to have a significant impact on your day to day life.

    ReplyDelete