Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Person Profile


So, for my interview, I didn’t interview one of my supervisors, but rather, someone who has a job in an industry that I am interested in.  Soon after moving here to LA, I was able to meet a guy named Ben.  He actually did his undergrad at the same university as I did, but with a different major.  He graduated in advertising, while I got my degree in Human Geography. 

            Anyways, I am currently seeking an MPA with an emphasis in non profit management.  I am particularly interested in international non profits.  It just so happens that Ben is the Director of Outreach for a non profit called “Unlikely Heroes”.  Unlikely Heroes’ mission is to restore and rehabilitate child victims of sex slavery through the implementation of restoration homes, rescue and prevention programs worldwide.  They do majority of their work in Southeast Asia, and operate a large treatment center in the Philippines. 

            Ben’s main responsibilities for his job is to set up events and fundraisers, as well as advertising to get their mission published.  He has done quite a good job, having raised millions of dollars in the couple months that I have been his acquaintance.  Most of this has been done with fundraisers that include better known Hollywood B list celebrities like Eliza Dushku and cast members from TV shows like modern family etc (I am not too into the Hollywood scene so I am not familiar with most of these names)

            Anyways, I have been able to volunteer a little bit to help in any capacity possible, and have been able to chat with both Ben and his boss about what they do (I am excited to be a host for their big $275-$4,000 plate dinner in Hollywood this coming weekend).  They have seemed to take a little interest in what I am studying as well, and have told me they want me to consider working for them when I graduate. 

            I asked Ben the list of questions on the sheet we were provided and as you would expect, event planning experience is a plus for his current job.  It helps that he studied that in school, but he says that most people, with a little work, and a lot of patience, could begin to see success in his line of work.  The advice he would give to someone is to follow your passion.  He loves what he is doing, but he does not make a lot of money.  He believes in his cause, and says that there is nothing else he would rather be doing at this current point in his life.


           

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you got a lot out of your interview with Ben, thanks for sharing! His non-profit does great work and I'm glad we have organizations like that around.

    ReplyDelete